Russian River Water Update 5/15/23
Reservoir Storage & Operations
Water supply information provided by Sonoma Water (More info here):
Russian River Water Forum Updates
The Russian River Water Forum Planning Group will be holding its first meeting on Wednesday, May 17th and members of the public are invited to attend. The meeting will be held at the Ukiah Valley Conference Center; there will also be a Zoom option. You must register to receive the zoom link. The Planning Group is comprised of approximately 30 members representing a cross-section of interests in Sonoma, Mendocino, Lake, and Humboldt Counties.
Planning Group Meeting Details
- Time/Date: May 17, 2023, from 10 am – 3 pm.
- Location: Ukiah Valley Conference Center Cabernet 1. 200 S School St, Ukiah, CA 95482. More logistical information to come.
- Lunch will be provided for Planning Group members. Refreshments will be provided for all attendees.
- Please RSVP for the meeting here. Registration helps us plan for and host the most effective meeting. All Planning Group members, public, and press are welcome to RSVP.
- Water Forum Website. https://russianriverwaterforum.org/
- Planning Group Charter. This draft charter includes the purpose and guidelines of the Planning Group and will be certified by the Planning Group.
- Stakeholder Assessment Findings. This document summarizes the themes and takeaways from Kearns & West’s stakeholder assessment, conducted in fall 2022.
- Tribal Assessment Findings. This document summarizes the themes and takeaways from Kearns & West’s tribal assessment, conducted in 2022 and 2023.
Drought Response and Resilience Report for Marin and Sonoma Counties
Link to Report: Agricultural Resilience in the Face of Extreme Dry Conditions; A Marin and Sonoma Partnership
Written by Marin and Sonoma County agencies and organizations, this report documents collective and coordinated responses to the extreme dry conditions from 2019 through 2022. In particular, it details the adaptations that were developed and implemented to relieve impacts on livestock and row crop agriculture.
California Water Use Fact Sheets
Check out these fact sheets on CA water use developed by Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC):
- PPIC - Water Use in California, April 2023
- PPIC - Water Use in California’s Environment, April 2023
- PPIC - Water Use in California’s Agriculture, April 2023
- PPIC - Water Use in California’s Communities, April 2023
In the press:
CA Water Plan eNews, May 10, 2023
Maven's Notebook May 7-12, 2023
This week, there are a few interesting articles addressing issues outside of the watershed but that may provide guidance and inspiration for the future of the Russian River Watershed.
- Various articles via CA Water Education Foundation: New CA Budget means a $6 billion cut and future uncertainty for climate spending, 5/15/23
- CalMatters: Newsom restores floodplain funds, adds $290 million to flood control budget, 5/11/23
- Various articles via CA Water Education Foundation: Study on CA Drought driven by Australia's wildfires and La Niña climate pattern, 5/11/23
- Various articles via CA Water Education Foundation: El Niño is coming: What it means for CA Weather, 5/12/23
- Mendo Voice - Navarro River, two more Mendocino Coast watersheds to see salmon habitat restoration, 5/8/23
- PPIC - The EPA’s Martha Guzman Discusses New Environmental Justice Initiatives, 5/15/23
- DWR: Putting Flood Waters to Work: State Expedites Efforts to Maximize Groundwater Recharge, 5/9/23
- Associated Press via Fronteras: Half of U.S. West out of drought, but not fully recovered, 5/10/23